Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Travelling While Black in the Balkans

Last year, while travelling through Croatia, I kept wondering what the deal was? What was so odd? Why were so many people so curious about me?

As I enjoyed myself immensely in that beautiful & vibrant country, I started to notice something: At any given place and at any given situation, I was the only Black person there!

Now I’ve found myself in this situation before, but never to such an extreme degree, and although I wasn’t that uncomfortable about it, I had to wonder why.

Croatia is an extremely welcoming country with national parks, museums, stunningly beautiful islands and beaches, sleepy seaside towns, delicious food, fun and open people who seem mostly ready to help tourists who are lost & confused. Basically, an up & coming tourist haven!

So why no Black people? And why did I receive more than my share of curious stares when I was only eating at a cafe or stopping to listen to music?

My conclusions are twofold: 1) Black people (whether Africans, Caribbeans, African Americans, etc.) don’t seem to travel in large numbers to the Balkan States, such as Croatia, Albania, and Montenegro, and 2) It could be that since there is a lack of Black tourists, when there is one, it heightens the interest of the average citizen.

Well then, not really a thing to get upset about. And in no way did I ever feel threatened or ill at ease. Possibly a little tired of never quite being able to be inconspicuous, but never truly worried.


But as Oprah & Gayle famously went on a camping trip to Yosemite National Park to illustrate how Black people by and large don’t go camping but should because it’s a lot of fun, I can encourage my fellow tourists of color to step off of the beaten path of London, Paris, and Berlin and try a Balkan State. The more people see us there, the more of a cultural exchange there will be! And stares and distant curiosity will turn into smiles and openings of conversations.

 Dubrovnik

 Dubrovnik Harbor...Beautiful!
 Hvar!
 Plitvice Lakes National Parks
Endless waterfalls in Plitvice Lakes National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment