Saturday, June 28, 2014

Day Two

Well, different birds chirping in the morning! As would be expected!! And it's slightly cooler in the morning...only slightly! But, not too many plans as it were...for my first full day in Kumasi. The volunteer coordinator is coming around 12:00 to get me so I can get internet...this should be interesting! With my own router or something! Welcome to Africa! And hopefully, while I'm out, I'll get some mosquito netting and pass by a pharmacy to get some skin cream. Hmmmm...will definitely see how this works! I get the feeling like Albania & India, stuff doesn't work on Western time standards. Who knows how long it will take to get some of these things done...might a guy who needs to contact another guy who isn't available or something! Will see what the day brings!

OK! Got to jump into busy Saturday shopping in Kumasi (will hopefully get to the Kejetia Market tomorrow...it's supposed to be the biggest one in West Africa!). And I indeed did get Internet!! My own little wifi box! Who knew?! And it's working great!


About $50 (CAD) and pretty much my only option for Internet access. I'll leave it with the organization for the next volunteer.

Also got medicated skin cream...with no prescription! At the moment, I kind of like how things work here! Got most objectives met, but will get mosquito netting on Monday...one was left from a volunteer. And I've got insect repellant and closed doors...and that seems to be working. Plus I'm faithfully taking the malaria pills, with no side effects as of yet. I'm trying not to get paranoid about malaria, but I am still a little concerned. 

Got to walk around a bit seeing how thing are and getting the lay of the land. Got close to the Kejetia Market, but I'll try to venture there tomorrow.

Work starts Monday! So I may not get a chance to explore a lot until next weekend. It's been very cool so far, though. Hot! But that's to be expected. I hope I get used to it soon. And very cool, friendly people.


My own little water supply! Provided by the host family.







A little friend around the house.








No comments:

Post a Comment