Monday, September 1, 2014

Travelling While Black Part 2: Ghana—A New Perspective

I wrote in a previous post about my travels to the Balkans and Eastern Europe, and while I absolutely loved my experiences there, I couldn’t help but notice that I seemed like the only Black person travelling. (Or at least it felt that way!) And I remember feeling that it was somewhat disconcerting and a bit isolating. There was no way to blend in without curious stares, nothing threatening or malicious, but stares nonetheless. But travelling to Ghana was a totally different travel experience for many reasons, but specifically because for the first time in my life anywhere (besides living in New York City), I was not a visible minority.

Actually, the feeling of not standing out happened on the flight from Amsterdam to Accra. Just boarding, there were all these Africans or people of African descent in line! Only the Dutch crew and a few other passengers stood out as a minority. Obviously, it makes total sense; it just was my first experience flying to an African country...so, new to me.

And when I arrived in Accra travelling to Kumasi the next day by bus, it became quite clear of what I might be in for in terms of being a “non-visible minority”. Certainly, having been born and raised in the United States and currently living in Canada, and having never set foot in Africa before, I did stand out with my Western dress, American mannerism, etc., not to mention the fact that I only spoke English and not the local dialect. So I was noticed, but I wasn’t an overwhelming object of curiosity. And, that was so refreshing!

It’s a bit superficial, but I felt I had found my people, so to speak! J And, of course, I had in a way. I am not sure of my exact lineage beyond a small village in Mississippi, à la “Roots” per se, but knowing a bit about the history of the Atlantic Slave Trade (which I was fortunate to get a further glimpse of while visiting slave castles in the Cape Coast), I know that my roots are somehow there.

So travelling while Black in a Black country...definitely a new perspective.

                                                                             At the Cape Coast

                                                                           Cape Coast Castle

                                                                              Door of Return

                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment